Whether your a heath nut like me (and always have chicken in the fridge), or your cooking for multiple people and you have excess, this recipe is a crowd pleaser! This recipe could be considered paleo since it doesn’t involve any grains and it’s also gluten free, hooray!! It’s simple if you know where to shop and it’s great for the cold months! Use this easy paleo chicken and vegetable soup recipe when you’re on the go and you won’t regret it!
Ingredients for Paleo Chicken Vegetable Soup
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup butternut squash, peeled and cubed (you can buy this already cut and peeled at Trader Jo’s)
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cubed* (you can buy this already cut and peeled at Trader Jo’s)
- ½ yellow onion, quartered
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil- OR you can use spray olive oil to lighten this recipe
- 4 cups chicken stock, store-bought or homemade
- 2-3 cups leftover shredded chicken or 1 pound uncooked chicken breasts
- ¾ teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups baby spinach
- If you’re trying to decrease the carbs, cut out the sweet potato and increase the butternut squash to 2.5 cups
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Roast vegetables with spray olive oil for 20 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- While those are roasting, bring the chicken stock to a simmer in a large stockpot. Add the chicken, herbs, and salt and pepper. For raw chicken breasts, cook for about 45 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and tender enough to shred with a fork.
- Add half the vegetables to the soup, and place the other half in a blender. However, MAKE SURE you add all of the onions quarters into the blender. Puree the vegetables with the 1 cup of water.
- Add the vegetable puree and baby spinach to the soup. Simmer for 5-10 minutes, until the spinach is wilted and the soup is hot. Adjust seasonings to your taste (source).
Fitness Tip: Pre Workout Soup: To add a punch to this recipe (with a little extra carbs) add brown rice to the bottom of the bowl. Sprinkle some garlic salt on the brown rice, then add the soup over the top!
Trader joes makes this recipe a snap since they have the hard ingredients already peeled and cut into squares. You can find those items in the refrigerated section next to the bagged lettuce. Keep in mind that this paleo chicken vegetable soup is all very affordable! If you love the recipe, then share it with your friends and family using our share button