I was interested to know what you burn while doing some of the most popular exercise dvds on the market. Whether you’re in a class or at home, burning calories and moving more is always the primary goal. After googling and researching all over the web, I have compiled a list of how many calories you burn doing P90X, Zumba, Insanity, and BodyPump.
How Many Calories Do You Burn Doing P90X?
- Doing a single weight training video from P90X you will burn between 550- 750 calories. This is without the Ab Ripper X
- If you are doing one of the 3 cardio routines included in the series, Kempo X, Plyometrics, and CardioX you will burn more then the average (550-750 or on the upper end)
- If you Add in Ab Ripper X you will burn an extra 200-300 calories.
- Don’t forget about the after burn affect. After doing these intense exercises you will still be burning between 100-200 calories at rest and this can span over the course of many hours. Everyone is different and it’s based upon many factors.
- If you are a very small or thin person you should deduct 100-200 calories. If you overweight or pretty large then add 200 calories.
How Many Calories Do You Burn Doing Zumba
- As with many exercise routines the amount of calories you burn during a zumba class or zumba video is based upon your weight and size.
- Doing zumba can burn anywhere from 500 – 800 calories an hour. For a 150lb person, they can expect to burn 536 calories.
How Many Calories Do You Burn Doing Insanity?
- This one was a mystery because it varied SO GREATLY!!! Some people said 1000 calories based upon their heart rate monitor. However, I find this to be very misleading.
- The most accurate things I found were from people posting independently.
“I AM IN MONTH 2 AND I BURN BETWEEN 600-750 CAL. AND ONE DAY I REALLY PUSHED IT AND BURNED 1000 CAL.
I AM 5’3″, 127LBS, AND MY HEART RATE USUALLY, WHEN IM PUSHING IT, STAYS AT AROUND 178.”
“I never burn anymore than 580! First month I burned anywhere from 350-450 and on month 2 now I burn anywhere from 400-580. Wish I could burn more and believe me I dig deeper and push it!”
“I am 5’6, 135 lbs, and I burn approximately 100 calories/10 minutes with Turbofire. The higher you get your heart rate, the more conditioned your cardiovascular system. With Insanity you spend more time in the upper reaches of your heart rate max, therefore burn more calories. This is assuming you put forth the intensity!”
“I’m 5’8″, 118 lbs, and burn between 350-500 on the month 1 DVDs depending on which one I’m doing.”
How Many Calories Do You Burn Doing BodyPump?
- During a 60 minute BodyPump session online resourcessay that you can burn up to 600 calories depending upon your size.
“On my HRM I burn between 420 & 520 calories a class (60 mins not the express one)”
“I log 500-600 for each Les Mills class I do a week even though I know I burn more sometimes.”
“It really depends on how hard the individual person works. My calories burned in BodyPump have varied from 400-500 calories depending on how hard I push myself. Heart rate monitor is the only way to even semi-accurately measure any type of circuit1 training or cardio.”
The best rule of thumb when looking up how many calories you are burning with specific routines is to under shoot, not over shoot. Also, wearing a calorie counting device such as the bodybugg is a VERY useful tool to help you lose weight and track how many calories your burning during your fitness routine.
BS, CPT, CES, PES