Protein supplements, and bars can get VERY expensive. This recipe from oxygen magazine for no bake protein bars could save you loads of money and keep you lean all year round. A hint of dark chocolate mixed with the flavors of coconut, and almond mixed with whey protein, give the bar omega fats to keep you going, protein to keep you lean and oats for slow carbohydrates. As an added bonus, there is a trainer tip to change this recipe into a fall pumpkin spice bar to trick your kids or treat yourself !
No Bake Protein Bars
- 1/2 cup of milk chocolate whey protein
- 3 tbsp of almond butter
- ½ cup of ground oats
- 2 tbsp of coconut flour
- 2 tbsp of ground almonds
- 1/2 cup of water
- 4 squares of 90% dark chocolate (for coating)
1. Blend together all ingredients (except for the chocolate)
2. Shape the mixture into bars
3. Melt the chocolate in a bain marie (i.e. a glass bowl on top of a pot of boiling water)
4. Dip each bar into the melted chocolate to coat it (using a spatula is best for this job)
5. Place the bars in the fridge for an hour or the freezer for 25 minutes
6. Wrap in tin foil to carry the bar with you and/or eat one right away!
Trainer Tip: Get creative with this recipe. If you don’t like the calories of each individual bar, try making them smaller. When you get tired of dark chocolate try making the coating white chocolate instead.
Protein Pumpkin Spice Bars
* To add a different view on this creative recipe for the fall. These could also be pumpkin spice bars with white chocolate coating, vanilla protein powder and add a touch of “pumpkin spice” into the recipe. A little orange food coloring in the white chocolate and your kids won’t know the difference!
Calories: 271, Total Fats: 14 g, Saturated Fat: 4 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 13 mg, Sodium: 51 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 20 g, Dietary Fiber: 6 g, Sugars: 4 g, Protein: 17 g, Iron: 4 mg
Fitness doesn’t have to be expensive and there are tons of great recipes on the web to keep you in your budget. If you know someone else who would love these no bake protein bars, share them with our link above.
CPT, PES, CES, BS