Cellulite is the enemy of most women. However, there is very little known about how to actually get rid of it! If you aren’t familiar with “Oxygen” magazine; it’s a great women’s weight training magazine. I’ve been reading it since it first came out and I promote it to all my clients. Here are there top tips for ridding your body of cellulite.
Cellulite is simply the result of subcutaneous fatty tissue pressing upward through the connective tissue of the dermis. More than 90 percent of women develop some cellulite after they go through puberty, and whether you’re skinny or not, the development and severity of your cellulite has a lot to do with genetics and hormones (another thing to add to your list of filial complaints!). So beyond eating clean and exercising regularly, what’s a girl to do?
• Rub it out. Massage has been shown to temporarily reduce the bumpy appearance of cellulite (but will not remove it).
• Drink up. Proper hydration helps wash away toxins from the body, improves skin elasticity and helps fat metabolism.
• Curb your stress. Stress creates cortisol, a fat-storing hormone. The less stressed you are, the less cortisol you produce and the less likely you are to store fat. Take time every day to exercise, have a bath or listen to music.
• Keep weight training. The more lean muscle mass you’ve got, the more calories you burn, even at rest, and the more subcutaneous fat you’ll use as fuel.
• Give up the creams and potions.To date, no cellulite-reducing cream or lotion has been proven to remove or reduce the amount of cellulite on anyone’s body. Save your pennies and buy a few personal training sessions instead.
There is not a quick fix for cellulite. Keeping your body fat low is one of the best ways to keep cellulite away for good. Eat healthy, exercise regularly, and don’t forget to weight train!