A cannonball with a handle on it is the best way to describe this exercise modality, hailing all the way from Russia. Popular among cross fitters, this cast iron powerball will give you a workout for your money. Due to it’s shape and handle placement, kettlebells can double as both strength and cardio training tools. Fit for all genders and levels, you are guaranteed to get a full body workout, spend less time at the gym.
Some of the many benefits of kettlebell training include:
- Fully body workout. Because of the multi-joint movements, more of your body is engaged in every workout than if you just opted for weights or machines.
- More calories burnt in less time. Because more muscle groups are engaged, the output is higher, yielding to better and faster results.
- Increased resistance to injury by strengthening muscles around the joints, as well increasing their flexibility and range of motion.
- The workouts involve both aerobic and anaerobic work.
- Leaner but not bulkier. A kettlebell workout will help you tone without making you look like an NFL linebacker.
The sheer variety of motions and combinations make for a versatile workout, keeping it interesting. I first became exposed to Kettlebells when I trained under Martial Artist extraordinaire, Dasha Anderson back in NYC. Dasha merged Martial Arts with kettlebell training in what became Kettlebell Kickboxing™ . If you ever get a chance to train with her at Anderson Martial Arts Academy, absolutely do. Those workouts are no joke. If not, opt for the next best thing and try one of her workout DVDs -> http://www.kettlebellkickboxing.com/
If you feel you’re stuck in a rut and want to change things up, give kettlebells a try. Here’s a quick, 20 minute workout to get you going. If you’re a beginner, I’d recommend something no heavier than 10-15lbs, for advanced, 20lbs and up
Circuit 1, repeat 3 times
20 Goblet squats
20 Kettlebell snatches (10 each hand)
Circuit 2, repeat 3 times
20 Halo Squats
20 Toe tappers on Kettlebell
Circuit 3, repeat 3 times
15 Sit ups with kettlebell raise
20 Russian twists
20 Kettlebell tap in plank