Traveling during the holidays can be a huge stressor. Nothing is worse then getting
on an airplane with tons of people packed together like sardines. To avoid overflowing
into someone elses seat in the future;
follow these simple rules to keep your gut in check while 40,000 feet up.
* Drink Plenty of water. Since the air in the plane is circulated; this will keep you
hydrated and virus free.
* Avoid fatty, yet filling foods. The airlines aren’t stupid; the best way to fill people
up for cheap is to give
them small portions of fattening foods that are loaded with carbs and or fat
(a combination that is sure to make you fall asleep). The most common airlines
foods would be peanuts (fattening), and pretzels ( full of carbs and tons of salt).
* Don’t waist your money calming down with a nice gin and tonic. Extra calories from
alcohol will go straight to your stomach and hips if you don’t have the ability to burn
it off. Since you’re stuck on a plane, this is a given.
* Get Plenty of rest. Decreased amounts of sleep increases your cortisol level. Increased
cortisol (your stress hormone) has been linked to increased body fat around the hips and
thighs (no one wants that!).
* Walk The Airport. Short on time and didn’t get your workout in? Chances are you are about
2 hours early for your flight. If you have extra time, try taking a brisk walk around the
This will get your metabolism up and keep you from getting antsy during your flight.
* Do seated exercises. No you don’t have to do arm circles in your seat! However, you
can do a seated calve raise without anyone really noticing.
- While seated roll your foot from the heal to the ball of your foot. This will cause
you to go up on the tips of your toes. Hold 10 seconds while contracting your calves.
- Ab Exercises - Contract your abs by drawing your belly button into your spine. Then
relax and repeat. Try doing 50 of theses during the course of the flight.
- Glute Exercise - Contract your glute (butt) while seated. This will cause you to
raise up slightly, then relax. Set a goal of 5o contractions
* Take Your Vitamins- Everyone knows they are “supposed” to do it, yet vacations mean
that people forget. Taking your vitamins helps to flush out toxins, and keeps you from
getting sick from the recirculated air of the plane.
These simple fit tips can help you to look your best during the holiday season.