You’ve seen them .. day in and day out they are there at their usual time (6 pm). Sure, they’re sweating and doing long bouts of cardio. They look great due to all that cardiovascular work. They typically have a small shape yet they lack that overall definition. Most people envy the amount of time these people can spend running or doing the elliptical, yet they lack one thing… MUSCLE!
- Burning calories is one thing, burning muscle is another. You can put your body into a muscle burning state by over doing cardio.
- You are chained to the machine. If life gets in the way and you don’t have 2 hours to spend on your machine then you body doesn’t have the muscle mass as back-up to fuel your metabolism.
- In general, most C.Q.’s have a high body fat percentage due to lack of muscle. This leads to loss of muscle tone and an overall “unhealthy” state for your body.
- Muscle is the true foutain of youth. While building muscle your body releases “growth hormone” this aids in cell recovery, soft skin, and a youthful look. Who doesn’t want that!
- Every pound of muscle burns 50 calories. If you burn up all your muscle or you don’t build it then over time your metabolism decreases. You eat less and less and still gain weight! This leads to frustration, fad diets, and even more cardio!
If you think losing weight is all about calorie burning your both right and wrong. Yes, you need to burn calories to lose. However, losing weight and keeping it off is another story. To maintain a healthy body fat, keep the weight off, and look awesome in a swimsuit; you must have muscle. Cardio is essential to health but it is the best when balanced with a correct weight training routine.