If you have intolerances, trying to find a gluten free, soy free, and MSG free version of this dish is next to impossible. However, if you make this simple and easy dish at home, you can have a low carb dinner in less than 30 minutes.
Use this as an appetizer, as a main course, or even as a snack on hot days. This recipe for Asian chicken lettuce wraps can also be used as a chicken salad.
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 lb of ground chicken or small chicken pieces
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 of an Onion (chopped)
- 1 cup Red or green pepper
- 1-8 oz can Water chestnuts
- 3 tbsp Hoisin sauce (optional)
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tbsp Peanut butter (you could also use cashew butter)
- 3 tbsp Soy sauce or Coconut Aminos
- 2 tsp Sweet chili sauce
- 1/4 tsp Powdered ginger
- 1 tbsp Peanut oil
- 1 tbsp Rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp Sesame oil
- 1-Lettuce or your favorite asian salad
- Start by combining your ingredients. If you are using a dense peanut butter or cashew butter, you may need to heat it on the stove or in the microwave for 30 seconds so it is soft.
- Heat your choice of oil in a frying pan (2 TBS of peanut oil).
- Once the oil is hot, add your ground chicken. Cook until browning occurs, then add your choice of onion (green or white) and cook for 5 minutes. Onions should be tender and translucent.
- Add in the peppers and the water chestnuts and cook for an additional 5 minutes until pepper are soft.
- Add in the sauce and simmer the combination on low until the chicken and the vegetables are coated evenly.
- Sever on top of lettuce leaves or on top of your favorite salad combination.
- This also works over rice or rice noodles.
If you are following an Autoimmune Diet or the Bulletproof Diet, feel free to swap out the peanut oil, and maybe even the sesame oil for XCT oil (MCT oil without flavor). Hoisin sauce has gluten so make sure you omit that if you are gluten intolerant.
How to Alter Your Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
*Peanut Allergies – Change the oils to XCT Oil (or high quality MCT oil). This may change the flavor a bit since you won’t have the peanut and sesame oil essence, but for people suffering from allergies it’s still a total win!
*Bulletproof and Autoimmune Issues – change the oils (use XCT oil), use green onions, and omit the peppers. Use cashew butter (raw), and use coconut aminos for the flavor verses soy sauce and Hoisin sauces.
Use this recipe for Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps when you’re in a rush and can’t be bothered to make a 3 course meal. It’s also great to make ahead of time to use through out the weeks on salads and for quick protein snacks!