The sun is out in California but it didn’t seem to stop everyone from eating this weekend!!! My weekend was filled with the Wisteria Festival in Sierra Madre, California. While promoting Body Burn Personal Training and Bootcamp in the 90 degree weather, I watched as people strolled by eating horrible desserts, fat filled lunches, and downing sugary drinks. If you had a heavy weekend filled with fat and carbs, then monday should be a low carb day for you! Use this low carb recipe as a tool to help you cut your carbohydrates and fill it with whole foods that give back to your body without adding to your waistline!
Paleo – Low Carb Recipe Monday
These mini paleo meat loafs hit the spot and are great as a main course OR as snacks while your on the go. They are also gluten free! Since carbohydrates DRAW water into your cells, eating low carb helps your body shed excess water weight. This recipe is a clean version of meatloaf. It’s void of excess salt (usually from soup mixes), it doesn’t have bread crumbs and they are filled with veggies (if you have stubborn kids , you can persuade them to eat them in the meatloaf).
Ingredients in Mini Paleo Meatloaf Cupcakes
- 2 pounds ground meat – mixture of grass fed beef and/or pork and/or veal
- 10 ounces frozen, chopped spinach or kale
- 1-2 teaspoons oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 3/4 cup mushrooms, finely diced
- 2 carrots, grated or finely diced
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten – you could also use egg substitute if you want to cut down on the fat
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg (optional)
How to make mini paleo meatloaf muffins
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Thaw the spinach or kale, and squeeze out the excess water and set aside.
- Heat a pan on medium heat with some spray olive oil, then add the onions and mushrooms. Cook until onions are clear looking and some of the liquid has cooked out of the mushrooms. Set aside to cool.
- Place the ground meat in a large bowl, add the spinach, carrots, mushroom/onion mixture, beaten eggs, coconut flour and all the spices. Use your hands to combine it well but do not overmix.
- Fill 18 regular size muffin tins to the top with the meatloaf mixture. You can spray them with olive oil or grease them by hand. I prefer the spray.
- Cook for 20 – 30 minutes or until you can place a fork into the meatloaf and it comes out clean. Internal temperature should be around 160.
- Cool meat loaf then use a knife or a small spatula to loosen muffins.
You can choose your toppings!! Here are some common options …
- Marinara sauce (low sugar and organic is best)
- Turkey bacon
- Olive tapenade
- Or anything else thats healthy and tasty
Use this low carb paleo recipe as a great main dish with some cauliflower mash or as a simple high protein snack! Share the fitness love for use by using the “share” link above and posting this or emailing it to your friends and family.!
Low carbing it,