When I saw this for the first time on Facebook I thought “Yuck, that stuff must taste horrible.” However, repetitive marketing and curiosity got the best of me. I half expected to go to the website, scan the list of ingredients (as I always do), then deem them unacceptable for human consumption and go on my merry way. That wasn’t the case. I didn’t see anything in the list of ingredients that I would react to! After banishing all protein shakes from my diet, I had resided myself to a life without the convenience of a quick, frothy, low carb drink, that I could whip up on the go. My food allergies had made it almost impossible for me to digest them. I had faith that maybe this bone broth protein could change all that. If you’re skeptical about the taste and flavor of a protein shake made from bone broth, rest assured, I was too!
4 Flavors: Pure, Vanilla, Turmeric, Chocolate,
What’s in Bone Broth Protein Shakes?
- Bone Broth Concentrate (chicken)
- Natural flavoring
- Xanthan gum
- Guar gum
- Stevia extract
- Monk fruit extract
Get the health benefits of today’s hottest super food, bone broth – in a nourishing protein powder that is SMOOTH to blend, convenient to use and EASY to digest. 100% Natural – Dairy Free – Soy Free – Grain Free – Nut Free – Gluten Free Bone Broth Protein contains naturally-occurring powerful Amino Acids, Collagen Type II, Glucosamine, Chondroitin and Hyaluronic Acid to support: Digestive Health* Joint Health & comfort* Healthy Immune System Function* Skin & Beauty* Healthy Inflammation* Cleansing & Detoxification*
I’ll admit, there are some things that I would personally change in the recipe of the Bone Broth Protein shake to make it more palatable. Some may think it has a bit of an after taste, but it’s not an after taste, it’s actually the smell of naturally occurring gelatin and collagen. These are both great for your skin, joints, hair, teeth, and bones. So, while it might not add to the flavor of the protein shake it can create positive affects on your body.
- Thick and frothy! Similar to whey protein shakes, the collagen in this product gives it a nice thick, frothy texture!
- Very Filling! If you’re looking for something to use as a filling snack or meal replacement, this would be a great choice. It’s so filling that I sometimes only use half a scoop.
- The Vanilla flavor is great for adding berries, or other ingredients.
- Versatile Product. I also add 1/2 a scoop of this protein to my bulletproof coffee in the morning. I’ve since removed the ghee and the protein from this product fills me up!
- Smell – As mentioned above it can appear to have an after taste which is probably more of a smell then an actual taste.
- Wrong Stevia – Stevia has a naturally bitter taste, that’s why certain companies will cut the bitterness with steviosides (the sweet stuff in stevia). Changing this would make a world of difference and change the flavor significantly!
- Somewhat Expensive – If you follow all the ads on social media, then your bound to pay more for this product since there’s a mark up. Buying it from amazon, other online supplement stores, or directly from their site, will help you get the best price!
I was shocked and amazed when I didn’t react to this product! For that reason I was willing to make it “work” with my tastebuds and find a way to doctor the shake. It wasn’t hard, just needed a bit of tweaking!
How to Doctor Your Bone Broth Protein Shake
If you are using the versatile vanilla flavor, these are my fitness tips to make it work for you! This would also work with the chocolate flavor.
1.) Add a low carb fruit to the mix. I used 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries.
2.) Add Liquid stevia to kill the bitter after taste. My favorite is the vanilla sweet leaf brand.
3.) Add some “good fats.“ I always add about 2 tablespoons of coconut cream.
4.) Optional – Bulletproof Brain Octane for brain power, energy, and low carb dieting.
This may appear to be a lot of steps but it’s not much different from making a traditional protein shake with water, milk, ice, and fruit.
My Personal Bone Broth Protein Shake Recipe
1.) 3 – 4 ice cubes
2.) 1/4 cup of frozen blueberries (or mixed berries)
3.) Liquid vanilla stevia 5 – 10 drops (varies based on your tastebuds, so test as you go)
4.) 2 tablespoons of full fat coconut cream
5.) 1/2 cup – 1 cup of water
6.) 1 scoop of vanilla (or chocolate) bone broth protein
Toss all the ingredients in a blender and mix until the ice cubes are crushed and the shake is frothy and thick! Drink and Enjoy!
If you have a history of reacting to protein shakes, have food allergies, or just love the benefits of bone broth; this bone broth protein shake could be for you! It’s also a great way to heal and prevent leaky gut. To read about all of the benefits that bone broth has to offer, read our previous article!
Leave a Reply