After visiting an amazing Hispanic restaurant this weekend, I wanted to reinvent one of their most popular dishes, the “Cheese Burger Taco.” I know this recipe sounds strange but it’s actually oddly satisfying. This recipe has less carbohydrates (corn tortillas have half the carbs) and our meat choice makes this a leaner option. It’s also optional to use vegan cheese, although I ALWAYS encourage it! If you are missing your burgers on your healthy eating plan, this could save you!
Ingredients for Lean – Low Carb – Cheeseburger Tacos
- 1 pound of lean ground beef – grass fed (makes this recipe gluten free)
- Taco Shells or corn tortillas
- Fitness Tips – if you are trying to keep your fat intake low, use the soft corn tortillas. The hard shells are usually 6 – 7 grams of fat each.
- Sliced pickles (deli style)
- Vegan shredded cheese – Daiya is my favorite brand
- Diced onions
- Shredded lettuce (optional)
- Ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise (optional)
- Heat skillet to medium heat. Spray with olive oil and brown onions. Next add the ground beef. Add garlic powder or garlic salt for additional flavor (optional).
- Once the meat is cooked, drain the excess fat, this will help you to keep this dish even lower in fat.
- Using either the hard shell or soft shell, load your taco with the meat on the bottom.
- Add cheese on top of the meat. You can also choose to put it in the microwave quickly ( 2o – 30 seconds) to melt the cheese.
- Next, line it with pickles to your liking.
- Add lettuce (optional) then add your favorite cheese burger dressings.
- If you want to keep it dairy free, use vegannaise instead of mayo.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Nutritional Facts with Soft Taco
1 serving / 2 ounces of meat on each taco / 4 pickle chips / 1/8 cup of Daiya Cheese
* Keep in mind that the calories and fat could actually be even lower if you chose to drain out the extra fat as described above.
Average Cheese Burger (Jack in the Box)
Sodium: 680 mg
Sure, this recipe isn’t exactly the same as the real thing, but it does fill the void when you’re craving a cheeseburger. Save yourself the extra calories, fat, and carbs while still getting lean.
Love this recipe for cheeseburger tacos? Share your thoughts and your tips in the comments section below!