As science evolves so does the health of avid readers. Now, eating healthy foods isn’t enough to keep you fit. You must eat the RIGHT FOODS TOGETHER for ultimate fitness inside and out! Recently, an article was published in “Muscle And Fitness For Her,” stating new evidence of healthy food combinations for ultimate fitness. Read the article and be enlightened, just as I was!
Power Couple 1: IRON & VITAMIN C
” By altering its structure, vitamin C found in fruits and vegetables helps maximize the absorption of nonheme iron,” says dietitian Susan Kleiner, PhD, owner of High Performance Nutrition , and author of “The Good Mood Diet.”
This allows iron to transport oxygen to muscles and the brain, so you have energy to work hard in the gym!
KICK BUTT FOOD COMBOS!
- Iron – fortified cereal topped with strawberries (vitamin c)
- Spinach (iron) topped with tomatoes (vit. c)
- Kidney beans (iron) mixed with red bell peppers (vit. c)
- Pumpkin seeds (iron) tossed with dried blueberries (vit. c)
- Edamame (iron) served as a snack with kiwifruit (vit. c)
- Quinoa (iron) tossed with steamed broccoli (vit c)
Power Couple 2: CALCIUM AND VITAMIN D
” For calcium in dairy to be absorbed, vitamin D must be present. Think of Vitamin D as the key that unlocks the door, allowing calcium to leave the intestinal track and enter the blood stream.”
Vitamin D and calcium have also been proven to lower the risk of breast cancer by 30%!
KICK BUTT COMBOS:
- Salmon (vit. D) mixed with Yogurt (calcium)
- Scrambled eggs (vit. D) topped with shredded low fat cheese (calcium)
- Shrimp (vit. D) tossed with Kale (calcium)
- Cod (vit. D) served with broccoli (calcium)
- Tuna Sandwich (vit. D) and a glass of milk (calcium, vit. D)
POWER COUPLE 3: Protein & Carbohydrates
“Research shows that faster recover occurs if protein and carbs are consumed within the first hour postworkout. An extra building effect occurs after exercise if these macronutrients are consumed together.”
KICK BUTT COMBOS!
- Whey protein power mixed with fruit (carbs)
- Pasta (carbs) tossed with meat sauce (protein)
- Grilled chicken (protein) with a baked potatoe (carbs)
- Canned salmon (protein) spread on 2 slice of whole grain bread (carbs).
- Yogurt (protein) mixed with fruit (carbs) and nuts (protein)
- Lean steak (protein) served with rice (carbs)
POWER COUPLE 4: FAT & CAROTENOIDS (veggies)
” Studies showed that adding a healthy fat such as, olive oil to your salad bowl can increase how many cancer fighting agents, heart protective anti-oxident carotenoids such as lutein, lycopene and beta-carotene your body absorbs.”
KICK BUTT COMBOS:
- Scrambled eggs (lutein) mixed with diced avocado (fat)
- Dark green salad (lutein, beta – carotene) topped with walnuts (fat)
- Baby carrots (beta-carotene) as a snack with almonds (fat).
- Sliced tomato (lycopene) drizzled with olive oil (fat).
- Oatmeal mixed with ground flaxseed (fat) and diced dried apricots (lycopene)
- Squash soup (beta- carotene) topped with pumpkin seeds (fat).
Look over these combinations. If you don’t include these in your diet yet, then maybe it’s time you started! Fitness shows from the inside out. Make healthy choices and your body will refelect your diet!