While watching a recent show, I was horrified to see a breakdown on fortified cereals. In this episode, they were discussing one ingredient in particular, iron. We all know we need iron, and as a child I practically lived on breakfast cereal. It was a staple in our home for breakfast and the occasional snack. Watch this clip and be shocked!
After watching that video can you image what it could be doing to your body and your teeth!? Let’s just say, that I’m counting myself as one of the lucky one who’s been allergic to gluten since my early 20’s!
In other recent news reports, the Environmental Working Group, a Washington-based health research and advocacy firm said that “Millions of children are ingesting potentially unhealthy amounts” of vitamin A, niacin and zinc, and fortified cereals are the leading source.
What’s worse is that cereals are most commonly fortified with synthetic vitamins and minerals which are hard to digest. Synthetic triggers the body to attack the substances instead of using them as a source to heal and repair the body.
For that reason I always suggest supplementing with vitamins and minerals that come from “whole foods.” This way, the body recognizes the substance as a “helper” and not a “toxin.” There are a couple brands on the market that do this type of processing but only one that I recommend to my clients and family. NeoLife, has been in business for over 50 years and has been written up in countless medical journals for having a outstanding products made entirely of whole foods.
Another reason to avoid fortified cereals is that they almost always contain GMOs. Even some of the “healthiest” brands on the market have been found to have genetically modified ingredients.
- Kashi brand cereals (Kellogg’s) contains “high levels” of GMOs. Not just a trace of GMOs, but a high level meaning the key ingredients are genetically engineered from the start.
- Whole Foods’ 365 brand Corn Flakes contains “high levels” of GMOs (more than 50% GE corn).
- Barbara’s Bakery Puffins cereal was also shown to contain more than 50% genetically engineered corn.
- Numerous “natural” products like Kashi GoLean, Mother’s Bumpers, Nutritious Living Hi-Lo, and General Mills Kix are contaminated with high levels of GMO ingredients, sometimes as high as 100%.
- Quaker Oats (a part of PepsiCo) manages a processing plant that emits roughly 19,000 pounds of sulfuryl fluoride yearly. Sulfuryl fluoride is a toxic greenhouse gas used to treat crops like oats in storage. Quaker Oats claims to “all natural (source).”
Whether you’re supplementing or trying to get all the vitamins from your foods (nearly impossible), try your best to eat foods that are complete, whole, unprocessed, and unmodified. It may cost a little bit more money, and it may take a little more time at the grocery store, but your body and your offspring will thank you.