I was searching for a recipe that would fill me up while mimicking the occasional “fried chicken.” I saw recipe after recipe for this “KFC chicken at home.” However, I wanted to make a healthier version without dairy and gluten. After searching and comparing information, I finally found one that was AMAZING! I changed the recipe to suit my needs then tested it out! You can choose to make this healthy KFC chicken gluten free or you can change the ingredients to suit your own needs. Either way it’s a great low carb meal that you’ll want to make again and again!
To make this recipe dairy free, I had to find a healthy substitute for buttermilk. By combining culinary coconut milk and apple cider vinegar, I was able to create a creamy, tangy milk that stuck to the chicken and allowed for optimal coating.
Ingredients for Healthy KFC Chicken
Makes 8 servings
“Buttermilk” chicken marinade
- 2 pounds of thinly sliced chicken breast ( I used 8 thinly sliced chicken breasts)
- 1 cup of culinary coconut milk (or your choice of non dairy milk)
- 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
- Tabasco (optional)
Bread Crumb Mixture
- 1/2 cup of tapioca or arrowroot flour
- 3/4 cup of gluten free bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (salt free)
- ghee (optional)
- MCT oil to or spray olive oil for greasing the pan and lightly spraying the top of the chicken.
Instructions for Healthy KFC Chicken
- Create your dairy free “buttermilk” by mixing your milk of choice (I choose the culinary coconut milk) with the apple cider vinegar or lemon juice. If you aren’t sensitive to buttermilk, you can also use regular buttermilk in it’s place.
- Mix your ‘buttermilk’ salt , and Tabasco together in bowl or Ziploc bag. Combine them well to make sure the salt, buttermilk and tabasco is combined well.
- Pat your chicken dry with a paper towel, then add the thin cut chicken breasts to the brine for 1-2 hours. You may leave them in longer or over night if desired.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix all of the breading ingredients together. Remove the pieces of chicken from the brine (remove access “buttermilk” so that they are thinly coated. You can do this with your hands or a spoon.) Coat each piece with breadcrumb mixture, pressing down for a thorough coating.
- Place coated pieces on a greased cookie sheet.
- Lightly spray the top of each piece with cooking spray or MCT oil so that the breading is lightly moist. You can also drizzle some melted ghee or oil over each piece.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes until crispy and golden brown. If you have thicker pieces of chicken, you may need to cook them longer.
To keep this recipe low carb, pair it with vegetables. It has a hefty amount of protein and a moderate amount of healthy fats to keep you full.
How to Freeze Your Healthy KFC Chicken
I like to double the batch then allow them to cool over night in the fridge (loosely covered with cling wrap). Next, I put them in a ziplock freezer bag and push out all of the air. Allowing them to cool before placing them in the freezer will allow the water in the cells of the meat to reduce. This will help prevent freezer burn and give the chicken a dry freeze that looks and tastes professional when reheated.
If you love this recipe share it! More recipes like these can be found in our Body Burn 28 Day Quick Start. Make sure you stop by and have a look!