Sports bras are a MUST while exercising. However very few people know how to choose a bra correctly to ensure comfort, expandability, and ration of motion. There are some things to keep in mind while picking the right bra for your body. This will also depend on your cup size and the activities you will be preforming. Keep in mind that bras made for movement come in various fits, sizes, and adjust-ability.
Small Chested Women – While some people hate their size, small chested women actually have an easier time chosing sports bras because they don’t have to focus as much on the support aspect. This gives them more variety.
- Chose bras that are snug around your rib cage but don’t hinder your breathing and expansion of your rib cage.
- The Over Head Test – while trying on the bra, put your hands above your head. Watch to see if the bra rises. If it does then this bra may be too lose.
- Straps – the shoulder straps should be tight but SHOULD NOT cut into your shoulders
- Jog Test – Do a quick jog in place motion (in the dressing room) and watch for movement. If you aren’t supported then that bra should be a “no go.”
Larger Chested Women – Since you’re “gifted” in this area it’s harder to find sports bras that support you correctly without placing undo stress on your upper back, rib cage, and shoulders.
- Adjust Adjust Adjust – Look for bras that adjust. Don’t buy just any sports brassier. You need one’s that cater to your body. If you are working out you will also be losing weight. As you lose you can tighten the bra which will save you time and money. Look for sports bras that adjust around your rib cage and shoulder straps. My favorite are the champion sports bras.
- Padding – Chances are your chest gets heavy. Look for bras with padding on the shoulder straps.
- Move Before You Buy– twist side to side, put your hands over your head, and do some small jumps. If you have to stop and readjust the bra when you are done, this isn’t the bra for you.
- Support – the main concern with larger chested women is the “bounce factor.” If they aren’t supported when you jog in place then move on to the next bra.
The right sports bra can make or break your workout. While there are some very stylish and expensive brassier on the market, not all of them are created equal. The bra doesn’t have to be stylish it just has to do it’s job! Without the correct support your assets could be headed south long before their time. Make the effort to pick sports bras that keep you comfortable, supported, and confident as you strive to get a better body all year round.