I’ve been searching for more ways to eat low carb with less grains. I was shocked and amazed when the vegetable meatloaf I was “testing out,” turned out even better then my previous recipes. The vegetables added extra moisture that would normally be lost with other more conventional methods. It’s safe to say that this version is by far my favorite! I’ll be saving this vegetable meatloaf recipe to use throughout the years.
Vegetable Meatloaf Ingrediants
1 1/2 pounds of grass ground beef
1 pastured egg
2 cups of zucchini (shredded)
1/2 cup of shredded carrots
3 green onions or 1/4 cup of yellow onions
2 tablespoons of Italian herb seasoning (non salted) – I used the “Chef’s Best” brand
1 teaspoon of Himalayan sea salt
1/3 (2 1/2 teaspoons) of a packet of gluten free gravy
3 cubes of garlic (frozen then thawed for mixing) or 3 cloves finely chopped
1/4 cup of culinary coconut milk
1/4 cup of gluten free bread crumbs (optional for those of you doing paleo and bulletproof diets)
Sweet Tomato Glaze
- 1 cup of ketchup (you can choose any brand you like)
- 1 – 2 tablespoons of sugar. To reduce the carbs you can also opt to use Xylitol
- 1 tablespoon of ghee
- Mix the ground beef with your Italian herbs, vegetables, and salt.
- Next whisk your egg in a separate bowl and add that to your meat mixture, along with the gravy powder. Combine well using your hands and make sure your seasoning and vegetable are evenly distributed.
- Pressing into a glass Pyrex square dish and bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
Remove from the oven and coat the top with your tomato sauce. *Leave this step out if you are on the bulletproof diet or pick your own topping.
- Place it back in the oven for 5 – 10 minutes on broil. The Glaze will begin to bubble slightly when it’s done. Don’t leave it in the oven too long or the glaze will burn.
This recipe for vegetable meatloaf is both savory and sweet. I was thinking about my next piece before I was done with the first! It will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days, so it’s a great recipe to make and eat all week long!