The problem with eating your favorite Chinese foods is always the sodium, MSG, and horrible oils. While I’d love to go out to eat once in a while, the repercussions always lead me right back to my own kitchen. I decide to take an old favorite and make it low carb, gluten free and bulletproof! It turned out amazing and it’s going right into my stash of healthy recipes!
Ingredients for Low Carb Broccoli Beef
- 1½ pound grass fed flank steak (or lean steak)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon hardwood xylitol
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon gluten free, low sodium, soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 2 Tablespoons MCT oil
- 2 broccoli crowns, cut into bite sized pieces
- ⅓ Cup low sodium – Gluten Free soy sauce (Low sodium is a must)
- 3 Tablespoon beef stock
- 2 Tablespoons of xylitol (or brown sugar)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger root, minced fine
- 1½ teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 Tablespoon of coconut flour (or regular flour if you aren’t gluten free)
- 3 Tablespoons of MCT oil
- Remove the excess fat off flank steak. Then cut into 1½ to 2 inch slices. Mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl and whisk together.
- Add steak to a gallon sized zip lock bag and pour in marinade. Massage the marinade into meat so it well saturated. I like it a couple time over the course of the hour. The soy sauce works fast so you will only need to marinate it for one hour in the fridge.
*Note: There will not be a lot of marinade to mix with the beef. This is because the marinade is so concentrated it’s not necessary.
Paleo and Bulletproof Broccoli Beef
- First, mix the sauce by placing the soy, stock, hardwood xylitol, garlic, ginger, vinegar and coconut flour into a bowl, whisk to combine until all the lumps are gone. Set aside.
- In a large, heavy bottom skillet, heat over high temp until very hot. Place 2 Tablespoons of the MCT oil into skillet. Place broccoli into oil, very carefully Saute broccoli for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. The broccoli will begin to turn bright green during this process. Place on a plate and set aside.
CAUTION: Don’t add the broccoli wet. This will cause the oil to splatter and spit. Dry it very well before adding it to the hot oil.
3. Keeping the heat on high, add the remaining MCT oil. CAREFULLY add the marinated steak and half of the sauce. Make sure beef is spread out over the bottom of the pan so it cooks evenly. Allow it to sit and sear for a minute then stir again, sear for another minute. Keep doing this until beef is nicely seared and cooked through, there is no pink left. This can take 8-10 minutes.
4. Add in the broccoli and the remaining sauce. Toss to coat and let cook one additional minute. Serve with your favorite sides, enjoy!
If you are trying to make this a Bulletproof recipe, then it’s already set up that way. Pair it with white lemon rice and your dish is complete.
If you are paleo, no rice is necessary and this dish will fill you up in now time.
This is Broccoli Beef recipe is one that I will save and use for years to come. I hope you love it as much as I do! Use the print feature above and share it via our links.