Low carb is the way to go in this society that filled with carbs. Even if you eat low carb diners 2-4 times a week you will see a dramatic difference in how your clothes fit, how you sleep and how you feel. Don’t let carbs weigh you down, use this low carb recipe to fill up without filling out!! I use a soup base to make this recipe so it’s SUPER FAST! It’s also pretty inexpensive. If you want to add a touch of carbs feel free to add some tortilla chips or pour the soup over a small portion of pre made polenta 😉
Ingredients for Low Carb Chicken Tortilla Soup (Tortillas Optional)
|3||pounds chicken breasts (you can use bone-in, skin-on if you’d like, or boneless skinless. The goal is to have somewhere close to 2 or more pounds of cooked chicken at the end)|
|3||tablespoons of oil of your choice, divided (optional – you can cut this down to 1-2 )|
|1||large or 2 medium onions, diced|
|6||cloves garlic, minced|
|2||jalapeno peppers, diced (optional)|
|1-2||poblano peppers, diced (optional)|
|2||quarts (8 cups) Premade Soup Base From Pacifico –|
|1||28 ounce can of fire roasted tomatoes (if you can’t find fire-roasted, you can either fire-roast your own, or just use regular canned tomoatoes)|
|Juice of 2 limes|
|1||cup cilantro, chopped|
|avocado and fresh cilantro for garnish|
* In a pan saute the onions in olive oil. I use spray olive oil to keep the fat under control. Add garlic and peppers and do a quick saute (1 -2 minutes). Remember not to over cook the garlic because it becomes bitter.
* Add soup base to a large boiling pot. Bring to a boil, then add chicken breasts and onions.
* Once the chicken is done (12 -15 minutes). Remove from the pot and let cool. Next shred the chicken and set aside.
* Add the tomatoes to the new flavorful chicken tortilla soup broth. Allow the tomatoes to mix with the broth simmer for 5 -10 minutes.
*Gourmet Fitness Step – If you’re feeling advanced and you want a slightly thicker soup base (like me), strain out about half of the onions, tomatoes, and peppers. Add them to a magic bullet or food processor and blend. Pour them back into the soup.
* Add the shredded chicken, cilantro, and lime juice to the new and improved soup base. Test the soup and add any additional spices and seasoning (salt, and pepper maybe?).
* Top with avocado and and additional fresh cilantro. Serve hot and enjoy!
* For additional spice, add hot sauce and red pepper flakes.
Make the best choices for you an your family. This low carb recipe takes under 25 minutes to cook and prep. It’s under 15 dollars to make and it could feed you for days!! If you try it and you love it, write in and let us know!!