Any kind of “slaw” is a refreshing, low carb, light dish that’s easy and fun to make. It can also be easily altered into a vegan dish by removing the meat. In this version, you get all the flavor of an Asian dish, without all the carbs, excess MSG, salt and fat!
INGREDIENTS For This Low Carb Recipe
- 2 tablespoons heat stable oil – My favorite is grape seed oil.
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 2″ piece of ginger, peeled and minced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of Chinese five spice. You can get this as a spice mix in many brands
- 1 lb grass fed ground beef
- 1¼ teaspoons salt
- 1 heavy pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- ½-1 head cabbage, very thinly sliced into strips (1/2 large or 1 small)
- 4-5 carrots, peeled and sliced very thinly on the bias. I buy the shredded carrots in the bag to save time.
- 1 red pepper, sliced very thinly
- 4-5 scallions, greens and some of the white thinly sliced on the bias
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 11/2 tablespoon chopped mint
- 1½ teaspoons white sesame seeds (optional)
- 1 lime, cut into 8ths (for serving)
- Hot sauce (such as siracha) for serving, if desired (we skipped)
- Additional cilantro, scallions, and mint for serving if desired
Directions for Asian Paleo Slaw
1.) It’s very important that everything is sliced and ready to go. This recipe moves along quickly and you don’t want to over cook any of the ingredients
2.) Heat a large skillet to medium heat. Add oil, then add ginger, garlic and spices. Be careful not to over cook or burn the garlic. This can make the garlic taste bitter. After the ginger and garlic begin to soften (2 mins or so), add the ground beef.
3.) Brown the ground beef. Then add in all of the vegetables. Keep mixing the vegetables and the beef from the bottom of the pan up to the top. This allows the meat then the juices from the meat to combine well with the veggies. This cooking process should take roughly 5 -7 minutes.
4.) Next add the herbs, sesame seeds, and scallions. Add salt to your liking.
5.) Serve while hot with the limes and hot sauce.
This recipe is as easy as 1, 2, 3 ! If you buy the shredded cabbage and carrots in bags this recipe becomes even faster! If you’d like to omit the grass fed beef and replace it with something else that’s ok too! For all those vegans out there, you can simply remove the beef and keep it as an all vegetable dish. If you love this Paleo Slaw, share it with your fellow fitness pals.