This low carb recipe for Mongolian beef will have you tossing out your take out menus and dining in for a meal without the MSG, gluten, and horrible bloat. In the same amount of time that you would have to wait for the delivery man to get to your door, you can make a healthy meal in your kitchen. Only 30 minutes to a delicious low carb meal.
Ingredients for Low Carb Mongolian Beef
4 tablespoons of MCT oil (this is a refined source of coconut oil)
1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
2 clove of garlic, finely minced
½ cup organic wheat-free soy sauce. If you are allergic to soy – use coconut aminos
1/4 – 1/3 cup water (start with less and add more if needed)
1/4 cup of organic honey (you may decrease this to lower the carbs further)
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1 lb of grass-fed organic beef (flank steak), sliced into ¼-inch bite-size strips
¼ cup arrowroot flour
2 large scallions, sliced.
The arrowroot flour in this recipe replaces cornstarch.
- Heat a saucepan to medium heat. Add in only 2 tablespoons of MCT oil. Saute garlic and ginger for less than a minute. Add in soy sauce and water before garlic begins to burn.
- Next, add in your honey and pepper flakes (optional). Increase the heat and allow to simmer for 3 – 4 minutes. This allows the sauce to thicken. Remove sauce from heat and set aside for later.
- Add grass-fed beef strips and arrowroot powder in a ziplock back. Seal and coat beef evenly.
- Heat your last 2 tablespoons of MCT oil in a large pan until it’s hot. Add coated beef and saute for 2 -3 minutes. The edges of the meat should appear to be cooked. Stir to cook evenly.
- Turn off heat and remove meat from pan. Quickly wipe out pan to remove excess oil and arrow root. Be care that you don’t burn yourself during this process. I quickly wipe with a paper towel.
- Place the meat back in the pan and simmer again for 1 minute. Place the sauce back in with the meat, stirring consistently for one minute. Add in green onions and cook for 1 more minute.
- Remove from heat and serve.
You can serve Mongolian beef over your favorite vegetables or rice.
Leave a Reply