It’s ice cream season but these home recipes will help you cut the fat, the carbs and the additives. Use these “no churn” ice cream and sorbet recipes to mix up a sweet treat that won’t lead to regret later.
Makes 4 servings
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (this amount is optional)
- 1 can crushed pineapple
- 1 and 1/4 cups Greek style plain yogurt or coconut yogurt
- 1 cup coconut milk (silk coconut milk)
- 1/2 lemon
- sweetened coconut flakes (for garnish – optional)
This recipe can easily be made in a dairy free option. Just substitute the yogurt for coconut yogurt. Also, if you want to cut down on the carbs I would suggest reducing the overall amount of sugar and pineapple. You can also choose to use an unsweetened coconut milk if you want to cut down on the overall carbohydrates.
INSTRUCTIONS for No Churn Coconut Ice Cream
- Over medium heat, bring the coconut water and sugar to a boil. Allow this to cook for roughly 5 – 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. This has now created a sugar syrup.
- Drain your pineapple and get rid of the juice or store it to use for other recipes.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of your syrup with the can of pineapple. Then blend it in a food processor of blender for 15 – 25 seconds.
- Combine the can of pineapples and 2 tablespoons of the sugar syrup in a food processor or blender. Blend for about 20 seconds.
- In a bowl, mix 1/4 a cup of pineapple and syrup mixture, your choice of yogurt, lemon juice, coconut milk, and the remaining syrup mixture. Use a whisk to combine these well.
- Transfer this mixture to a glass baking dish and allow it to freeze for one hour. After an hour, the edges of the dish will be frozen. Break the mixture up with a whisk and get rid of any clumps, then return to the freezer for an additional 2 hours.
- Remove from the freezer and whisk in the rest of your pineapple mixture and return to freezer until frozen (30 minutes to an hour).
- Turn on a skillet to medium heat and toast your desired amount of coconut flakes. They should be golden brown. This takes roughly 2-4 minutes.
- Add to the top of your yogurt and serve immediately.
* If you use half the sugar, unsweetened coconut milk that’s low fat (silk brand), coconut yogurt, half the pineapple, and no toppings, the nutrition facts are pretty doable!
Fit Tip Daily’s Version of No Churn Coconut Ice Cream
If you decide to use the original yogurt based recipe. With the coconut topping and a richer coconut milk (for a creamer version), the nutrition facts are as followed…
Depending upon your weight loss goals and who you are making this recipe for, you can change and adapt this recipe to you specific needs. This no churn coconut ice cream recipe will take an average of 4 hours to complete. You can also choose to double or triple the recipe to keep some on hand for days when your craving a sweet summer treat without all the additives, excess dairy and hormones.