This recipe is our version of Paleo Avocado Hummus. While most people assume I’m Hispanic, I’m actually half Egyptian. My mom is an amazing Mediterranean cook and helped me to create this recipe to make it as authentic as possible. Hummus can be expensive if you use it often, but it’s not actually that hard to make with the right equipment and the right recipe. Use this Paleo recipe to get your fill without breaking the bank. You can also wow your friends with this easy recipe for your favorite events!
Ingredients in Avocado Hummus
- 1 1/2 Avocados
- 15 oz can of Chick Peas (Garbonzo beans) – Preferred brand – Goya
- 2 tablespoons Tahini
- 3 tablespoons of lime juice
- 1 clove of garlic
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon of cumin
* As water as needed, a tablespoon at a time (cold water) – to get to the right consistency. It should end up being the consistency of a thick mayonnaise.
Directions for Paleo Avocado Hummus
Pulse chick peas, olive oil, tahini, lime juice, and garlic in a food processor until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, add cumin and avocados and pulse mixture until smooth and creamy, about 1 – 2 minutes longer. Add water during this process, as needed (stated above).
Serve topped with more olive oil if desired and sprinkle with cilantro and red pepper flakes. Serve with pita chips or tortilla chips.
*Trainer Tips – if you want to cut down on your carbs try to use celery for dipping instead of pita chips.
Use this recipe to fill your tank without eating huge amounts of carbohydrates. This paleo recipe should be shared with other fitness enthusiasts, so pass it on to your gym bunnies and paleo pals.
Leave a Reply