Valentine’s Day is almost here. It is a time to show love and is usually predicated by candy and decadent dinners that can be calorie bombs in every sense. Instead, why not show love to the fitness enthusiast in your life. Maybe diamonds are a girl’s best friend, but nothing’s wrong with some protein cake options! Check out these Valentine’s Day Fit Tips for desserts and gifts.
RED VELVET PROTEIN CAKE
- ¼ cup whey powder (vanilla or red velvet flavor)
- *Use a whey/casein blend as it adds a thickness what whey alone doesn’t.
- ¼ cup fat free Greek yogurt (Oikos Triple Zero vanilla is recommended)
- ½ cup pasteurized liquid egg whites
- 2 Tbl almond flour
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- 1 Tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ Tsp baking soda
- ½ Tsp red food color
- 1 Tsp liquid non-caloric sweetener or ½ cup Sucralose powder
*If you want the red velvet flavor, choose the flavored red velvet protein powder. There are several whey protein shakes on the market. So, if you love red velvet, this could be your flavor!
- ¼ cup vanilla whey (see whey/casein tip above)
- ¼ cup Vanilla Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup Ricotta (Ricotta cheese is rich in whey protein)
Directions for Protein Cake
- Blend all cake ingredients in a bowl with a hand mixer or stand mixer until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a round cake pan or muffin pan
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes
- Remove cake and let it cool
Mix all frosting ingredients until smooth
Spread it on cooled cakes.
*You can lightly sprinkle red velvet or strawberry protein powder atop the frosting
PROTEIN PACKED CHEESE CAKE
- 1 cup Graham Cracker crumbs or 1 strawberry cheesecake Quest bar
- 1 scoop strawberry or vanilla whey protein powder
- 2 Tbl natural peanut butter
- ½ cup ground almonds
- 2 Cups Fat Free Greek Yogurt (see yogurt recommendation above)
- 1 cup Ricotta cheese
- 1 egg white (pasteurized egg white fluid would also work for this)
- ½ cup chopped strawberries
- If using Quest bar put it in a bowl and microwave for 20 seconds to soften it. Break it down in a food processor or add to the following mix and use a hand mixer
- Mix until all ingredients combined
- Press mixture in a pan and bake for 15 min at 300 degrees
- While baking prepare filling. Using a mixer mix yogurt and ricotta until smooth
- Add in other ingredients to mixing bowl and mix together
- When crust is done remove and let cool
- Spread filling over the crust and bake for another 30 minutes or until firm
- Once done remove and let cake chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour
Fitness Gift Ideas
Shields of Strength who makes fitness inspired jewelry is featuring a Valentine’s Day Fitness collection.
You can choose from elegant designs like the Stainless Steel Heart Necklace ($59.99), Stainless Steel Split heart/Dumbbell necklace (set of 2 for $189), Women’s Love Weight Bracelet($99.99) or any of their other designs.
VALENTINE’S FIT GYM WEAR
Some other great ideas are Nike’s Valentine’s Day fitness collection. For 2017 Nike has released a black and white heart print design in three of its most popular styles, the Airforce 1 Low, Airmax 90, and Roshe. While these styles seem to only be offered in kids sizes you can use this women’s/kids size conversion article to get the right fit.
There is even a Valentine’s Day fitness men’s special from Nike.