I love using tapioca wraps to make low carb treats without needing gluten or any sort of gluten free bread. I’ve recently been trying to limit the amount of grains in my diet as a way to biohack my body, increase my performance and clear out some of random allergic reactions I get. Tapioca wraps are roughly 5 grams of carbs per wrap and 20 calories so it makes them a great low carb, refreshing, and light food option.
Fitness Tips: Try to use large pieces in your wraps. Full pieces of lettuce and bacon wrap easier then small chopped pieces.
How to Use Tapioca Wraps
Add water warm onto a large plate. Just enough to submerge the tapioca paper. Place the tapioca paper in the water and get it wet on both side. Once its flexible move onto a another plate and load your filling predominately to one side of the wrap. I like to place the filling on the left and roll from left to right. Also try to stack your filling in a long row, this makes for easier rolling also.
Tuck Ends: Roll your paper over your mound of filling first. Then flip the ends in and continue to roll the rest of the tapioca wrap. This is an optional step.
- 8 slices of bacon (preferably pastured)
- ½ – 1 large roma tomato
- ½ – 1 avocado sliced thin
- 4 tapioca paper wrappers
- 4 large butter lettuce leaves
- 8 teaspoons mayonnaise or vegannaise
Instructions on how to make Low Carb BLT with Avocado Wrap
- Cook your bacon or turkey bacon in a pan until crispy. Drain excess oil on paper towels.
- Fill a large plate with warm water and dip rice paper rolls in water until soft. Place on plate in front of you.
- Layer lettuce, tomato, avocado, 2 slices bacon and mayonnaise on the tapioca paper.
- Keeping the ends open or fold in as mentioned above. Tightly rolling the tapioca paper away from you.
- Slice in half.
- Repeat with remaining wrappers.
Using the tapioca wraps as a low carb hack is an amazing way to eat healthy and clean without feeling like you’re missing out on all the fun! I bought mine at an Asian market for less than 5 dollars. If you aren’t sure where to get them, you can always buy them online here.