There are tons of exercises you can do for your Obliques (the sides of your abs). However, some could just be a waste of your precious “gym time.” I’m sure you have tried many of the machines for your “love handles,” as well as many of the ab gimmicks out on the market. However, studies show that the best exercise for that stubborn side area (or “muffin top” as my clients like to call it) is a basic exercise that requires NO MOVEMENT at all!
It’s called the “side plank.”
Here’s how to complete it:
1. Lie on your side
2. Stack both feet on top of each other
3. Place the bottom elbow under your shoulder
4. Push your hips straight up in the air
5. Hold for 30 seconds
6. Switch sides and repeat
Tips to Remember:
1. Keep your body in a straight line
2. Do not move around – keep your body still
3. Breathe naturally
4. Keep your elbow directly under your shoulder
5. Work up to 30 seconds without dropping your hips
Enjoy this powerful ab exercise and feel free to practice it twice a week until you master it and can feel your obliques getting stronger (source)!
This exercise can help you to firm up your sides but it CAN’T get rid of the fat. Make sure that you are eating a healthy diet and incorporating a workout schedule. In order to actually see your abs, you must have a low body fat percentage! For women I would say your body fat must be 22% or lower. While men, must have a body fat percentage of 12-8%. Make fat loss your new goal if you really want “6 pack” abs!
(CES, PES, CPT, BS)