It’s a well known fact that men have more muscle then women. We resent them for their god given ability to drop weight overnight and put our weight loss attempts to shame. We tend to overlook some underlying factors that have less to do with genetics, and more to do with how men think. Self magazine had a recent article that highlighted how to lose weight like a guy. I found it fascinating and VERY true.
- Have A One Track Mind – As women we hate that men can’t seem to function the way we do. Whether they are watching sports, hanging out with the boys, or leaning up, they are wired to focus on one thing at a time. Women on the other hand look at the big picture. When it comes to weight loss, men have tunnel vision and focus on that one goal!
- Sweat It Up – Men don’t care about making noise and sweating! The grunts you hear in the gym come from men pushing themselves to the limit. They look like they just stepped out of the shower. Don’t be afraid to push yourself (like men), do 15 – 30 minutes of interval training 3 times a week.
- Get Your EGO On – We roll our eyes when men pump themselves up. However, ego can be the biggest motivator of all! Next time you have an awesome workout brag about it to your friends!
- Stats Are Key – Men are more apt to keep logs of their workouts. They are always trying to get stronger, and faster. Beating your own personal stats each time you workout is key to improving. You won’t know how far you have come if you don’t know where you started.
- Ditch The Food Drama – Don’t agonize over what you can’t have while leaning up. “Man UP,” and accept that it’s YOUR CHOICE not to eat those foods because you are on a mission. A recent study showed that women binge eat more then men due to emotions. Treat your food the way it was intended… AS FUEL.
- PUMP IT UP – Women fear the weight room. Change your fear into a positive by thinking of it as the “fat loss room.” Only 17% of women weight train. It’s SO effective that weights should consume 60% of your workout routine. Don’t depend on the machines, use the free weights to burn fat at a higher intensity. DON’T forget! Muscle weighs more then fat so measure yourself every couple of weeks and don’t depend on the scale to make or break your day.
- Don’t Over Think – Women over think every aspect of life. Their workouts and eating are no different. Over thinking leads to confusion, anxiety, and excuses. Ditch the personal side bar and JUST DO IT! It doesn’t have to be in the gym. Throw on your tennis shoes and hit the streets. Just get out their and make the best of it.
- Forget The Gimmick Food – Most men aren’t buying slim fast bars, 100 calorie snack packs, and lean cuisines. Eat real food ! Avoid the hidden fats, added sugars and excess salt. Stick to unprocessed foods that you make yourself!
When I read about this, it made SO MUCH SENSE! As a trainer, I could visibly see the different perspectives between my male and female clients. The women would groan when I took them into the free weight section, they would agonize over the eating plan, over think every exercise, and admit to self sabotage. My men would do the diet to a “T,” workout hard, wanted to be measured all the time, loved to sweat and grunt, and took joy in bragging to their buddies about their workout routines. The perception of women is ALL wrong! Don’t loath a healthy eating plan and workout routine, take pride in it!