Football season is almost over and it’s time for the REAL fitness season! To fitness professionals, this is the end of February, early March. This also means it’s time for a diet make over. I always suggest that my clients start slowly swapping food out of their diets. This allows time for your tastebuds to get used to different flavors, less fat, less sugar and less salt. This cauliflower soup got outstanding reviews and it’s also a great way to cut some of the starchy carbs out of your meals at night. Warm soup can fill you up without filling you out!
Ingredients For Cauliflower Soup
- One head of cauliflower – sliced into small florets
- 2 tablespoons of garlic flavored olive oil – You may be able to cut this down using a spray olive oil but you won’t get as much garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 onion
- 3 tablespoons of flour ( I used gluten free flour )
- 1 can of chicken broth (14 ounces)
- 1 cup of milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 tablespoon of dry sherry
- Pre heat the oven to 450 degrees
- Place the diced cauliflower is a small roasting pan and drizzle with oil. Then add spices (nutmeg, garlic powder, salt, pepper). Toss the cauliflower with the oil and the spices to coat them evenly.
- Next roast the cauliflower for 30 -40 minutes, tossing every 10 minutes so they cook evenly. Set aside once they are done.
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan and add diced onions. Cook until golden brown.
- Sprinkle the flour over the cooked onions then mix in the chicken broth, milk. Mix with a whisk until flour is dissolved. Bring to a boil stirring constantly so that the flour doesn’t clump or burn. Reduce heat to low. Stir in the sherry and roasted garlic. Serve as is or blend for a smoother consistency.
Personally, I think the recipe would be best blended. However, get creative and add extra vegetables like broccoli or extra spinach for added iron. Share this cauliflower soup recipe with all your healthy or paleo friends!