When people think of healthy meals they automatically think “time consuming.” However, this low carb recipe should take less then 20 minutes to prepare. It’s also dairy free, gluten free and low fat! Use this fitness tip to stay ahead on your weight loss before the holidays begin. Losing 5 pounds now could keep you motivated all through the winter months ahead.
Serves 2 -3 people
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 tube of polenta – pre made
- 1-2 cups of Muir Glen Tomato Sauce (it has low sugar content)
- 1/4 chopped onion
- Fresh Basil
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spray olive oil
Directions for low carb Chicken Polenta
- Start by boiling water for the chicken – I prefer it boiled so it’s tender and not overly dry
- While the water is boiling heat a non stick pan and brown your onions. Set aside
- Slice the pre made polenta into thin slices directly from the package. They should look like little disks (as shown in the image)
- Spray the pan with olive oil and brown both sides of the herb polenta.
- Don’t forget to throw your chicken into the boiling water – allow it to cook for 10 – 12 minutes. Once it’s cooked set aside to cool. Then shred the chicken either with a for or with your hands.
- Add the shredded chicken, tomoato sauce, onions and garlic powder to the skillet. Warm the sauce and chicken. Then pour the mixture over the sliced polenta.
- Throw on some chopped basil and your done! Eat while it’s warm and add salt and pepper to taste!
Fitness Tips: I personally like to make large batches of lean meats (such as chicken breast, ground turkey, and lean ground beef) ahead of time. I do this about 2 times a week. It cuts down on cook time and allows you to have meat ready to throw into any dish. This small fit tip could mean the difference between eating out and going home to throw together a quick and healthy meal. If you know half the work is already done, you’re more apt to stick to your lean mean, low carb meals.
Fitness Tweaks: You choose how low or high carb this recipe is but determining how many (and how thick) your slices of polenta are. This can rang from 1 -2 servings of polenta.
Get creative with your recipes, your health and your goals. Eating healthy doesn’t have to be a chore. Add this to your low carb recipe to a recipe book and let your choices guide you to a better body.