The New Year and the NEW YOU means getting rid of the old you and all those old toxins. In this post we feature some of our previous articles and a couple new recipes to get you on track to a more energetic, detoxified body to keep you motivated and get you going for 2015! Use these detox cleanses to get the most out of your day!
Gwyneth Paltrow’s 7 Day New Year Detox
“It is that time of year, folks. I need to lose a few pounds of holiday excess. Anyone else? I like to do fasts and detoxes a couple of times during the year, the most hardcore one being the Master Cleanse I did last spring. It was not what you would characterize as pretty. Or easy. It did work, however. As I do not wish to subsist on lemon water in the middle of winter, I asked my doctor, a detox diet specialist, for the guidelines he uses to achieve a good detox that is not as hallucinogenic (in a bad way) as the Master Cleanse. He actually thinks that the Master Cleanse can be dangerous because the liver is not supported by the nutrients it needs.
To see what she is eating and why, just read more.
While her explanation sounds sensible, just reading over the menu left me feeling hungry and deprived. The majority of the meals are liquids — smoothies, soups, or juice with hardly any grains (read: carbs to fuel your brain) in the meals. The simplest way to explain is to list the foods she will be avoiding for seven days:
- No dairy
- No grains with gluten
- No meat or shellfish
- No processed food including all soy products
- No fatty nuts
- No produce from the nightshade family — potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant
- No condiments
- No sugar
- No alcohol, caffeine or soda (source)
Green detox drink
This vegetable detox drink is made up primarily of green vegetables, providing an effective natural body cleanse of the digestive system.
In her book The Raw Food Detox Diet: The Five-Step Plan for Vibrant Health and Maximum Weight Loss, certified clinical nutritionist Natalia Rose discusses the importance of vegetables at length. For this detox drink, you will need:
- 3 carrots
- 3 kale leaves
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 beets
- 1 turnip
- ½ bunch of spinach
- ½ cabbage
- ½ bunch of parsley
- ½ onion
- 2 garlic cloves (source)
Jillian Michaels’ Dandelion Recipe
Mix 60 oz of water with:
- 2 Tablespoons of Cranberry Juice (no sugar added, not from concentrate)
- 1Tablspoon of lemon juice
- 1 teabag of dandelion root tea
- Sweetener if desired.
Use a pitcher and store the mixture in the fridge. You DO NOT have to steep the dandelion tea, you can put it in cold water and let it sit in the mixture.
Consume the whole batch everyday for 5 days.
- Your weight loss will be based upon how much excess water weight you have been carrying around. Everyone is different.
- YES we know that the dandelion tea is bitter. If it is too bitter for you add more lemon to take away that bitter taste and consider adding more sweetener. We recommend a no calorie or low calorie option.
- Stores like Wholefoods and Sprouts are the best place to find the Dandelion Root Tea bags.
Gwyneth Paltrow’s Daily Eating Cleanse
There’s a little bit of everything in this article. If you want to cleanse while eating, drinking or eliminating then make sure you print this one out for your fridge! It’s also a great reference for cleanses through out the year! If you know someone who loves detox cleanses then share the love and share this article with the link above!
Happy New Year!