The average gym goer comes into the gym and goes straight to the machines. Although the machines are more advanced then they once were; they still lack 3 dimensional movement. People gravitate towards the machines mainly because they aren’t familiar with free weights and cable machines. However, even while using machines, you must have proper form and the correct settings to get the true benefits of the exercise.
If you want to burn more calories then the solution is to use free weights as well exercises that challange your balance, codination and your stabilizing muscles.
Here are 5 reason’s to Use Body weight exercises and NOT Machines
- Free weight exercises challenge your stabilizing muscles. This causes you to burn more calories due to that fact that you must balance your body and movements in space.
- Many machines aren’t “functional.” Functional means that you perform these movements in daily life. Some functional exercises would be a squat, dead lift, push -up etc.
- Body Weight exercises can be done anywhere. They don’t have to be done in a gym. You can do body weight exercises on vacation or at your home.
- Free weight exercises work your core as your perform the exercise. This helps you to firm up your midsection as you train.
- Stabilizing muscle (which are used during free weight exercises) not only help you burn more calories, they also support your joints. Weakened stabilizing muscles can lead to bad posture as well as potential injury.
If you aren’t sure how to perform functional movements. Educate yourself with books, online information , or with the help of a friend or personal trainer. As with many things in life, you are responsible for your destiny. You must invest the time and the energy to keep yourself healthy and fit. You can invest the time in yourself now or spend the same amount of time later in a hospital bed 20 years from now. Harsh, but realistic..
(CES, PES, CPT, BS)