If you are trying to cut your carbs, there’s a point when things begin to get boring. The veggies loose their flavor, your tired of salads and you yearn for something new and different. As a way to change it up, using low carb cauliflower tortillas could be the solution!
- 3/4 head of cauliflower. Should yield 2 cups after being grated.
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup of cilantro
- spray olive oil
- 1/2 a lime – you will be using the juice
- salt and pepper to taste.
Fitness Tip: Speed up this process by buying your cauliflower already diced in bags.
* Get Creative wit this recipe. You can also add red pepper flakes for spicy tortillas which are great for tacos. You can throw in some green onions and garlic also. You create the tortilla that goes best with your dish.
Directions For Low Carb Cauliflower Tortillas
- Turn the oven on to 375 degrees F. Then add line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Get your cauliflower ready by trimming off the leaves and stems. Then cut it into smaller square pieces. Place in the food processor to blend. Pulse until the cauliflower is in very small, rice sized pieces (or smaller). This should yield roughly 2 cups.
- Cook the cauliflower in the microwave OR in a skillet. The microwave will take 2 minutes on high. The skillet will take roughly 8 – 12 mins.
COOKING FITNESS TIPS: Remove all of the cauliflower and place it in a dish cloth or cheese cloth to remove moisture. Let the towel suck out all the extra water in the vegetable. The less moisture the better. USE DISH GLOVES and be VERY careful not to burn yourself with the hot steam in this process.
- Whisk your eggs then add cauliflower, cilantro, lime, salt and pepper. Mix until everything is combined evenly. Next, create small 6 inch tortillas and place them on the parchment paper.
- Each tortilla will need to baked for 1o mins on each side.
- Lastly, heat a skillet to medium heat. Spray with olive oil and fry each tortilla to add a bit a of crisp to each side. You should try to cook them for 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Press down on them with a spatula to push out any excess moisture and to get an even browning on each side.
Nutrition Facts for Cauliflower Tortillas
Nutritional Information per serving (using 1/8th teaspoon salt and pepper):
Calories per serving: 42.9
Fat per serving: 1.8g
Fiber per serving: 1.8g
Protein per serving: 3.6g
Carbohydrates per serving: 4.2g
While these aren’t going to have the same texture as corn tortillas or flour tortillas, they are a great substitute if you are trying to eat low carb. Of course, these are also gluten free, and paleo so share them with your fellow fitness fanatics! By all means, please do leave comments, suggestions and recipe tips for this low carb recipe Monday. We love to hear from our readers!
Leave a Reply