Many people will do the same exercises over and over. To burn more calories in an instant you must mix up your routine. I always tell my clients “if you keep your routine the same, then your body will stay the same.” Variation is the key to change!
This basic move known as the Dumbbell chest press can be altered by laying on a ball. The ball will challenge your core muscles which will help you to burn more calories.
To make this move even more advanced, you can do the chest press in an alternating fashion. The alternating pushes your body even harder.
- Lie down on a bench, step, ball or the floor. Begin with the weights in each hand straight up over the chest, palms face out.
- Keep the left arm in place while bending the right elbow and lowering the arm down until it’s at or just below the chest (the arm should look like a goal post).
- Press the arm back up without locking the elbow, then immediately repeat the move on the left arm while keeping the right arm in place.
- Continue alternating sides, engaging the abs to keep the torso from moving.
- Repeat for 1 to 3 sets of 8 to 16 reps on each arm.
- Keep the abs contracted throughout the movement to protect your back.
- Keep the motion slow and controlled — try not to use momentum
(CES, PES, CPT, BS)