You might not know the name “kettlebells,” but I’m sure you’ve seen them around the gym. A lot of these exercises can be done with a dumbbell as well, but they don’t seem to be as fun or as fluid. Most kettlebell exercises take advantage of large muscle groups, which makes them the ultimate calorie burning tool. If you are nervous about swinging weight around groups of people, then practice the exercises without weight; they will still get your heart rate going, blood flowing, and metabolism burning at high rates.
1. Hold one kettleball between your legs and your body is in a bentover stance with your back flat.
2. Swing the kettleball backwards and then forcefully swing the kettleball forward to a chest level. Keep your arm straight and forcefully extend your hips, knees, and ankles.
1. Place one arm overhead full extended with a kettleball. Bend forward at the hips keeping back flat to grab the other kettleball with the free hand.
2. While holding one kettleball overhead continue to raise and lower the other kettleball.
3. Continue for the desired repetitions and repeat with the other arm.
Alternating Floor Press
1. Lie on your back holding a kettleball in each hand.
2. Alternating with your arms push up one kettleball at a time.
3. Slightly rotate your trunk when pressing the kettleball up. Repeat with the other arm.
Single Arm Kettlebell Jerk
1. Stand with feet shoulder width apart and knees slightly bent. Position kettleball to ear level with an overhand grip (palms facing forward).
2. Go into a quick 1/4 squat. Immediately extend legs and stand up and at the same time press hands up above head keeping wrists over the elbow and arm moving parallel to body at all times.
3. Return to start position. This is an explosive exercise and the legs are used to be able to lift more weight overhead
1. Keep torso straight but bent forward at the hips slightly.
2. Explosively raise the kettleballs by extending the hips, knee and ankle in a “jumping action”.
3. Keep your elbows out and shoulders directly above the kettleballs as long as possible. Keep the kettleballs close to the body.
4. Once you have extended the lower leg shrug your shoulders and at maximum elevation of the shoulders start pulling with the arms. Keep the elbows high during the pull until the highest point.
5. Rotate elbows around and underneath the kettleballs. Rack your hands across the front of the shoulders. Slightly flex the hips and knees to absorb the weight.
6. This should be a fluid motion where all the steps flow together (source).
After seeing these moving figures you know that these exercises are guaranteed to burn calories and break all weight loss plateaus. If you are low on time then pick 3 of these exercises and do them before or after work. You can still get great results if you maximize your time by using full body movements like these.