Everyone has foods that can potentially ruin their diet in an instant. One of these “trigger foods” is never enough. These foods will send you into a down ward spiral and completely ruin your diet efforts. To make sure you stay on track you need to identify these foods and learn how to avoid them or deal with them as a whole.
- Keep these food out of your house. If you know that these foods can ruin your diet then they shouldn’t be in your house! This can lead to potential binges… especially if you are an “emotional eater.”
- Stay Realistic. If you know you can’t have them in your house then only eat them occasionally out side of the house and DO NOT BRING THEM HOME. No “doggie bags” full of cheese cake for later.
- If you must… only buy one serving of these foods. If you want a candy bar then only get a “bite size” serving of it instead of the whole bar. You can find these at local 7 Elevens and other small markets.
- Healthier versions create overall success. Finding ways to eat your favorite foods in a healthier version satisfies your hunger and your mental state. If you love chocolate; try eating a low fat sugar free chocolate pudding. This is a win, win situation… you get the chocolate with out all the extra sugar, fat, and calories.
- Don’t attach feelings to foods. We all love food but it shouldn’t be our “happiness.” Try readjusting how you think about food. If you link food to fun then think about the people around you that make it fun.
Knowing yourself is what truly makes the difference when it comes to being healthy and balanced. Read your body, and your emotions as if you were reading a book by your favorite author. Find that source of your reaction and play the scenario out in your head… only this time; you can choose your own ending.
(CES, PES, CPT, BS)