Sushi can be a healthy treat or sabotage your weight loss goals. Making the right low calorie sushi choices is the key to keeping your figure intact while getting your omegas (from the fish).
Mackerel Roll ~232 calories, 2g fat per roll
This isn’t the usal choice for many, however it’s packed full of Omega fats that help prevent cancer and boost your immune system. Other large fish such as tuna, can have dangerously high levels of mercury.
Trainer Tip : Notice that this roll doesn’t have avocado. Although, avocado is a great “healthy” fat, it’s a huge calorie trap! 1/4 cup of avocado adds 90 calories. That’s an easy amount to consume through multiple sushi rolls.
Salmon Cucumber – 231 calories, 4g fat per roll
Notice the small amount of rice used on this roll, which keeps it lower in calories and carbs. The cucumbers fill the roll and the salmon has it’s own natural omega fats. There’s no mayo or sauces to spike the calories either.
Trainer Tip – Avoid ordering this “spicy.” These add an extra 99 calories.
Shrimp Roll – 199 calories, 0g fat per roll
Low calorie and LOW fat. Eating this in it’s basic form is the way to come out ahead. The minute you fry it and turn it into a tempura roll, the calories spike to over 500 calories with a whopping 21 grams of fat!!
Vegetable Roll –170 calories, 5g fat per roll
The added fiber from the seaweed and vegetables makes this a great choice for a beginning roll. It will fill you up without weighing you down.
Sushi Do’ s
- Go plain – the less excess fat you have in your roll via mayo, and avocado, the better.
- Plan – work your calorie choices out before hand. Research what you are going to eat before you even step in the door.
- Fill up on drinks such as water with lemon, and tea (no sugar added). If you need a soda, stick to one!
- Order Light Rice – Sounds crazy I know, but light rice on multiple rolls could save you hundreds of calories.
- Don’t eat fried rolls!!! Tempura rolls will spike the calorie count to over 500 with over 21 grams of fat.
- Avoid all rolls with the “california” title in them such as salmon California roll, tempura california rolls, etc. These are mixed with normal mayonnaise (not low fat), so they are packed with extra calories and with excess fat.
- Avoid ordering things “Spicy.” This spicy sauce is similar to the sauces used in the California Rolls. It’s basically MAYONNAISE!!!! Which is then mixed with hot sauce.
- Don’t eat tons of rolls packed full of avocado. This adds excess calories and fat.
Hopefully our crash course in low calorie sushi choices was easy to follow and retain. I didn’t want to bombard you with unnecessary information. Feel free to use the “print” link if you and your buddies, co-workers or family LOVE to eat sushi. You will thank me when the scale and your inches start to drop based on your new choices!
CPT, BS, CES, PES