Even if you aren’t on the Paleo diet, it would be a good idea to sprinkle in some of the best paleo recipes in efforts to reduce your overall carbohydrate intake, and calories. This Paleo waffle recipe was recommended to me by my sister who’s been “primal” on a off. It was taken from the cookbook, “Primal Cravings.”
Ingredients for Paleo Waffles
- 1/2 cup of tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder (I use gluten free)
- 1/2 cup melted butter (I prefer vegetable shortening or coconut oil because I don’t eat dairy)
- 1/4 cup 100 percent fruit strawberry jam
- 1/2 cup strawberry sweetened apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 4 eggs ( use egg whites to cut the fat)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
For the Shortcake Assembly
- 1 pint strawberries
- 3 tablespoons of 100 percent fruit strawberry jam
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cooking Instructions for Paleo Waffles
- Preheat Waffle Iron
- In a bowl, mix tapioca flour, coconut flour, and baking powder
- In a separate bowl, mix butter, 1/4 cup of jam, apple sauce, vanilla extract, eggs and salt.
- Whisk the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients together.
- Scoop a third of the batter into the waffle iron and cook roughly 4 minutes or until the waffle is light brown on both sides. Continue cooking util the batter is completely gone.
- While the waffles are cooking, slice the strawberries and mix them with 2 tablespoons of jam.
- In another bowl whisk together the heavy cream, the remaining tablespoon of jam and the vanilla extract until the mixture holds its shape.
Trainer Tips : If you want to reduce the fat use fresh strawberries and omit the heavy cream.
Use this recipe to create the perfect paleo waffles and pass it along to friends and family. Don’t forget to use the “Pin It” button at the top of the article if you want to add it to your pinterest account 🙂
Primal is the new Atkins,
BS, CPT, CES, PES