This leg routine is actually for the gym. It’s simple, to the point, and I use it to start people out and get them back in shape. This combination of leg exercises has the ability to build your quads, hamstrings, butt and calf in a very short amount of time. You can change the routine based on your fitness level by increasing or decreasing the weight or changing the repetitions. Use it 1 -2 times a week for best results.
I highly recommend foam rolling your legs 10 -15 minutes before doing an all leg routine. I would follow that with about 5 minutes of cardio just to get all the blood pumping. Recovery pills (also known as Brach Chain Amino Acids) are a MUST if you want to be able to build muscle fast and not be overly sore. I like the Apex brand from 24 Hour Fitness, just don’t take them on an empty stomach.
Visit our instagram page to see moving images of the leg press and hack squat. These will give you a better idea of foot placement.
Gym Leg Routine
- Leg Press Machine – 3 sets of 15 reps (weight varies – beginners usually get 35 to 45 lbs on each site) *See instagram video
* Trainer Tip – keep your feet shoulder width apart and push from your heals (not your toes)
- Hack Squats – 3 sets of 15 reps (weight varies – Beginners use 10 – 25 lbs on each side) *See instagram video
* Trainer Tip – keep your feet shoulder width apart and push from your heals (not your toes). Also remember to keep your back on the pad, it’s shouldn’t come off as you squat.
- Leg Curl Machine – 3 sets of 15 * choose a challenging weight
* Trainer Tip – Hold the curl at the top of the motion and squeeze your butt and hamstrings for a 2 second count. This helps your body to connect to the muscles you are working for better recruitment and better results.
- Standing Calf Raise Machine – 3 different foot positions – Do 15 to 20 reps in each position.
- Standing Dead Lifts – 3 sets of 15 – Moderate to heavy weight. At the BOTTOM of the exercise you will feel a pull. This pull should be a the TOP of your hamstrings right under your butt or glutes. If done properly, this exercise has the ability to tighten up some of that saddle bag area.
- Standing Lunges – 3 sets of 15 on each leg (moderate weight – focus on form).
*Trainer Tips – Push up from the front heal, not the back toe.
This simple leg routine is predominantly machines but this is just one version. When I’m training in a gym I like to do a variety of exercises both on a machine and off. This workout just allows you to get in and out fast while still staying on track 😉 If you aren’t following us on instagram already then we’d love to have you! Click on the link and add us to your account to follow along in the fitness fun.
CES, PES, BS, CPT