I heard about oil pulling after a friend mentioned that her naturopath recommended she do it every morning. This conversation came about because I noticed that her teeth were several shades brighter. When I asked if she had bleached, she said “no but I have been doing oil pulling and it’s a side affect.” Of course, that lead to me researching WHY people started doing it in the first place.
To do oil pulling you use one of the 5 types of oil (extra virgin cold pressed coconut, sunflower, olive oil, or sesame oil). Take one tablespoon swish it around in your mouth until oil adjusts to the temperature of your mouth. Most oils like coconut will take a little more time to dissolve. Coconut oil is also the oil mentioned above that will whiten your teeth naturally.
Swish the oil around your mouth, over your gums, sucking it through your teeth. Do the oil pulling for 20 – 30 minutes. You will notice as the oil pulls toxins out of your mouth and body, the liquid will begin to get thicker, denser, and turn a white color. That’s when you know it’s time to spit it out. We recommend discarding it in the toilette to prevent it from clogging drains.
Benefits of Oil Pulling
- Awesome benefits for oral health – decrease germs, bacteria and plaque
- Oral professionals believe that the oil not only helps fight bacteria, it also helps prevent it from sticking the the inside of the mouth.
- Strengthens teeth, gums and jaw
- Prevention of disease, gums and gingervitas
- Prevention of bad breath
- Potential holistic remedy for bleeding gums
- Prevention of dry mouth, lips and throat
Benefits Beyond the Mouth?
Ancient Ayurvedic health practitioners believed that oil pulling could reduce more than just diseases of the mouth and throat. Today, many holistic practitioners tout its use for a variety of health concerns. It is believed that these oils help the lymphatic system of the body as harmful bacteria are removed and beneficial micro flora are given with a healthy environment to flourish. Because of this holistic perspective, oil pulling has been used as a preventative health measure for many other conditions.
Other possible benefits of oil pulling for overall health include:
- Migraine headache relief
- Correcting hormone imbalances
- Reducing redness and swelling from arthritis
- May help with gastro-enteritis
- Aids in the reduction of eczema
- May reduce indications of bronchitis
- Helps support normal kidney function
- May help reduce sinus congestion
- Some people report improved vision
- Helps promote normal sleep patterns
- Reduced hangover after alcohol consumption
- Aids in reducing discomfort
- Reduces the indications of allergies
- Helps detoxify the body of harmful metals and organisms (source)
A study done on participants over 40 days led to a decrease in bacteria between 10 – 30 %. The benefits of oil pulling definitely outweigh the hassle! Not to mention that you can detoxify your body and whiten your teeth in one simple way.
Keep on Pulling,
CES, PES, BS, CPT
Leave a Reply